Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Slurpees &n cornuts!

That's what I started out with...a slurpee and cornuts and I am in my car! It has always been one of my most favorite places in the world....behind the wheel of my car. I have owned 7 in my life, almost went to 8 this summer. My husband jokes that if my tags need renewing, it is time for a new car. Efficient view of time management!

I failed my learner's permit first time out & was devastated as my BFF at the time got hers. I won in the long run as my birthday was earlier & I got my license (barely) first time out. I remember the liberation and sensation of being in the car alone for the first time. I went to the bank for my mom!

Today I have not much of an agenda but wanting to enjoy my favorite past time! Years ago I figured out why driving is so cool to me. I get to go where I want, choose the inside climate, music and even occupants! I love it! I also love driving around and SEEING! Today I found a new cafe/bistro owned & operated by chefs, the military section of the Pioneer cemetary, the NAVAL Science building at the University of Utah, and was able to admire the stunning view of the valley on a clear summer day!

I was at a light in an area somewhat similar to Seattle when I noticed the cafe/bistro owned by the chefs. For a minute I was at a loss as to why that was important. Then it hit me the freedom they would have when choosing the menu. Freedom from uncreative or mislead owners/managers who are pandering to the crowd vs great food! I looked it up when I got home...I can't go there, NO BLOODY DESSERTS...nuff said!

This summer with time on my hand I have taken to the cemetary. Let me clarify that it has only been a few times and for mostly historical purposes! I saw the rows of marble headstones standing identically in a row, I pulled over. Michael's father is a Purple Heart veteran. My father was in the Korean & Viet Nam wars. Growing up in Oregon, I am very defensive about the military. Oregon has little military presence & has little understanding for the necessity and lifestyle. Walking the rows the hairs on the back of my neck stood in awe of what these rows represented! Standing there in the hot sun and slight bridge, I thanked them for my freedom and their work, and reverently left.

I am sure there is little need to remind whomever may be reading this but Utah is a Land Locked State. I cannot tell you how far away it is from a considerable body of water. I understand the beauty and uniquity of the Great Salt Lake, but we are land locked! So I almost drove up the curb when I saw the Naval Science building at the U. Both in Oregon and Washington, there is a proximity to the ocean, a river, or sounds which make the schools naturally friendly to marine sciences, but UTAH? So I corrected my close minded thoughts & wondered if it was an ROTC/military building....but again....the Navy has SHIPS. Being honked at to move on, I am still pondering the potential use of the building.

The U is at the near promintary of Salt Lake city. Pulling over, it was a beautiful sight! Regardless of my feelings of the area, this city was founded by people yearning to live their lives without persecution. State street runs from the Capital building the length of the city. The streets were made wider when the city was founded due to the potential traffic to come as the faithful visited Zion. The hills surrounding the valley were summer brown and green still beautiful in their breadth. Hills which had to be endured by the Mormon pioneers, the eager rushing to the gold rush, or to get to the Oregon trail. Hills where the Donner party was still healthy and optimistic. Still a great vantage point!

I sipped my slurpee and crunched my cornuts and headed to my errands satisified I had learned a few new & weird things in my trip.

JustMe

No comments: