Sunday, July 25, 2010

Antichrist

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with TV Guide. Thinking back I can't tell you what specifically intrigued me, but for a while my mom bought it weekly & I was enthralled.

I remember reading ahead to my favorite shows to see what was going to happen in that half sentence synopsis and feeling so enlivened that I KNEW! Our generation was one of the first group of kids raised on tv. I mean I knew each morning (in Oregon) we had to be ready for school before the halfway point of Ramblin Rod. In Chicago I think we had to be ready to go before Popeye came on in the morning. Before I make my mom seem neglectful, I will share a few things about Faye. She was most assuredly not a morning person when we were kids, may have been avoidance, but she really didn't do well. My brother & I got ourselves going. The story from my mom was that my brother & I became empowered (?) in getting our own breakfasts. At 4/5 we were capable, able & excited to get up on the counter, gather cereal bowls and cereal & feed ourselves. Mom said at one point she felt guilty & began getting up in the morning to be the great mom she envisioned. I will give the credit to Rick, but one of us told her after a week to please stay in bed because she was mean in the morning. The result is we didn't really know how to tell time on a clock, we knew how to manage our time by the TV.

Not to let my dad off the hook....because he tells the story that he was sleeping and had the feeling that someone was watching him. And there was....littlle ME. He said you could just see my eyes over the mattress just staring at him not talking. He said he would get out of bed, get me cereal and turn on the tv, and I was good. He went back to bed. My brother wasn't born so I was under 2. Dad said it was funny because I didn't fuss, cry or wake him up, just sat & waited.

I do have a problem with tv. I admit it. Recently on a visit to my brother, I was shown how to search on the remote through the channels without changing your channel. I was entranced. Surfing the channels the other night I saw on a channel a show entitled "Antichrist". I looked around the room looking for a hidden camera, nope...just me and my imagination! At first I was leary of viewing the show. I mean I saw all of the bad 80s horror movies where an unsuspecting person gets sucked into a horror scenario and dying an icky death while SCREAMING so irritatingly and my curiosity would NOT allow me to be that dumb....besides, I had seen those movies and was farrr from unsuspecting.

Thinking about it more, I started to envision what the show was. In my head I saw a big headed, scarlet satan (something out of Hellboy) sitting in a Carson like set with a suit interviewing people. Satanic minions would scurry the guests on, fetch water, and rouse the crowds to laugh when the antichrist was not really funny. Of course there would be a special minion band with a leader who was able to banter with the antichrist to bring interest! It all fell together in my head. An audience of zombie like people zombie-roaring to the bad jokes and applauding with whichever remaining extremities they had. He would interview other fallen angels, who would do God jokes. He would interview random people from hell who were horrible in their earth life and the crowds would roar in approval. It just fit!

I hesitated in choosing to watch the show because it most certainly would NOT have fit my vision and would have been a deep disappointment! Blame my parents for putting me infront of the boob tube!
H

1 comment:

Kim Thompson said...

At my house, we had NO television "rules" and the first household in the 'hood and amongst my friends to have cable. We could watch anything we wanted, any time of day, any rating. I think by the time I got into high school and college, I really didn't watch much television at all. I think I was self-burned out.