Friday, August 20, 2010

Dog person

I know I am a dog person. Our first dog was the first love of my life. She took my heart when I was 6 and it tore at mine when I put her down 15 years later! The 3 I have now have not only taken my heart but my husbands....and with pleasure.

I have a small confession to make...we had 2 cats before I moved out of my parents house, Bellamy & Tori. I would love to say that they were my sister's cats...they weren't...they had us all. Mom & I were visiting friends in Eastern Oregon & there were kittens. I cannot recall where the idea came from but we called Shawn & told her we were bringing home a siamese mix kitten! She was elated! The dog had been mine, this cat was hers! I can't remember where she got the idea, but she got the atlas & opened it t a random page (Wyoming) & landed her finger...Bellamy. Thus the cat's name.

We put a bell on her collar & she ran with the other kitty & caused havoc. When you drove up she would run from anywhere in the neighborhood to welcome you. Not really, she would arrive at your feet as you opened the car door and preen for approval. Then run away after you admired her. She would make her napping place was the basket we kept the dinner napkins. She was struck by a car as I watched. The woman was debilitated with guilt. I couldn't tell whether or not she was dead. At the clinic, it was horrid to see DOA on the sheet...again my heart was torn. The woman came the next day with a grief card.

Next was Tori (short for Victoria) who was also a Siamese mix. I don't recall how she came to be in our household but she carried herself as her regal namesake! I had a small study room with my desk so I could finish my degree. I would hunker down with my walkman to study. Along would come Tori & she would sit and watch. And stare. And SMACK my pen as I wrote. When I would stop writing, she would SMACK my hand when I would stop. She was entertainment for my tedium. Mt Dew & Tori helped me graduate from college. The horror of her death was she was following my sister to the school bus and she was hit by a car, Shawn was devastated.

Even if I wasn't allergic, I would not get another cat as these 2 ladies cannot be replaced!

Just Me

1 comment:

Kim Thompson said...

Cool post. I am so desperately allergic to cats. They really kill me. Wish they didn't.