Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Circumcision

I like libraries. I am not alone I am sure. Public libraries are good but I have found more fun in libraries of the universities I have attended.

At the University of Oregon I recall an amazing finding of old schematics and plans for the buildings on campus. Around those documents, I found old letters and newspapers. To be honest a guy I had a crush on (& would follow relentlessly) was an atchitect major & he was studying in the area. Future visits were all my own.

I know I spent more time in the Portland State University library. I lived at home with my parents to complete school, so I found peace and solace in the library. I remember finding studying carrolls in areas where the surrounding books were interesting. Being ADD I could study in 30 minute intervals. Then I would have to walk and peruse the books.

I found a shelf of books where the Holocaust was studied. The most nauseating book was a replication of the medical study and their results done in the camps. I can't retell them as I have tried to put them as well as the horrible mental pictures it created.

I can't remember where I was studying where my most memorable wanderings happened. I remember being very disinterested in studying, and I looked and there is was "Circumcision". I looked around to see if it was a joke. So of course I picked it up.

To be fair, I only made it through part of the forward, but I really could not ignore the book. The author's first sentence wanted me to be an author "I am sure you are wondering why there is a book on circumcision. When I was in medical school there were no books on the subject, I figured there should be". Enough said I figured. I put the book back fearful it would cover the step by step precision required for each procedural step.

Just Me

1 comment:

Kim Thompson said...

I loved the library.I was a rigorous participant in the summer reading program. Essentially, I wanted to kick everyone's ass. I did and it was freakin' beautiful.

Did you know I NEVER,EVER studied or worked in my college libraries. Not once.

I loved working at home. Still do.

I LOVED your reason for being an author. Superb! Mine?

Everyone has a story. It's up to me to dig up the good bits.