Friday, September 5, 2008

Staying home and Top Ramen...

Today is my last day of vacation before I return to work. I still haven't gotten over the feeling I had when I was a kid & stayed home from school.

When I was growing up, if you stayed home from school you relinquished ALL priviledges. You were home because you were SICK. The one thing that was a constant in our house was this new stuff (I am serious here) called Top Ramen. I really am that old. For lunch I was excited to have Top Ramen, chicken of course and be able to watch Perry Mason. Now I can't tell whether my mother was a genius or we just gave up....but a few episodes of Perry Mason cured us from staying home from school. I mean sure, his critical thinking techniques as well as the every so dashing Paul Drake made him a terror for the secretly guilty. And of course what kept Perry's wheels every so oiled was the faithful and reliable Della Street. Yah, I relished the time at home. But Perry Mason can only be watched in small doses. So we gave up & just enjoyed our Top Ramen.

I had to go to the store for things for a birthday cake & I passed the Top Ramen. Couldn't help but buy a few packs to celebrate my freedom. As I drove home, I still felt the edge of excitement that I was free from work and there were people where I should be NOT enjoying Top Ramen in front of bad afternoon tv. Where is Perry, Paul & Della when I need them!

Be good to you!
H

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Top Ramen????
what is that?

Micahel said...

Top wamen is what you had when the momma didnt cook and the wife dont cook and you dont go hungry