Thursday, April 23, 2009

Who trains whom?

So I sit in bed reading JEN LASSITER...and Daisy brings me toys to throw. I was looking into Mike's bathroom & noticing Mike's full glass shower doors. My mind lit up. I wonder if Daisy would figure out how to open the sliding doors to get to the toy. From bed I started throw the toy towards the doors. I started laughing at my thwarted efforts. I think I knocked over Mike's shampoo, conditioner, and face scrub....but still kept trying.

The next night I explained to Mike what my intention was. He was intrigued. He put the toy in the shower & closed the door. He couldn't leave. He sat down & tried to EXPLAIN to her that it was "just like opening the curtains", curved his hand like a paw to show her how to pull open the door, which he did. She sat & looked at the door and his hand. And waited....

Now I am impatient. I was attempting to control Mike so he would leave Daisy to use whatever doggie logic she had to figure out what was going on. After 7 years of marriage, he had since stopped listening. So he continued with his training.

"It's easy Daisy"...."just use your paw"...so he showed her AGAIN & opened the door a bit more. So she sat....and looked at the slowly widening gap then the man who was in charge of widening that gap. From when where I was, all I could laugh (and scream) at was who was truly training WHOM?

For the 10 minutes which passed....the boys and I watched. I surmise that Daisy watched too...and waited. It was a great training session. There were moments of encouragement..."Come on Daisy, it is easy, you can do it". There were moments of success Daisy said "Good job Mike...you can open it again! Good Mike". There was a rhthym about it. He would open the door a bit, she would look at the door, look at him, look back at the door then look at him. He would wait (seemed to be the same increment) and then he would encourage her, watch her and then open the door a bit.

Finally HE gave in. She seemed impressed with his progress...jumped in, grabbed the toy and dropped it again at his feet. I was livid and laughing "I wish now I could give you a fucking dog treat because SHE just trained YOU to open the shower doors".

God bless them every one.

Be good to you
H

1 comment:

Mick D said...

its the gospel truth, amen.