Sunday, January 18, 2009

Don't ask ME what BCS stands for!

I grew up with sports kinda foisted upon me. All weekend was spent with any kind of sports. The thrill of vistory and the agony of defeat all without a remote control

I struggled with it growing up. I tried to find a favorite team (Redskins....why NOT Thiesman...dude even now he is an appreciating view of a man). Of course I was born (in my adult eyes now, in the shadow of the Oakland Alamedia colasuim, so I did feel accepted by my dad being a Raiders fan. It was one of the few pasttimes we enjoyed together. My mom & I steered away from full fledged immersion. Mom read all Sunday. My mom played up her lack of interest....her team was the Rams because she liked the helmets. LAUGH....god bless her.

So I say this note to point out that when I was growing up through before my marriage I was not an atheletic supporter (of course I had to!). The love of my life is a sports enthusiast. I think that is understating it, but I move on. He gets about 10 minutes at a time during a game from me. I will watch the Fox sports show because Howie is on it as well as Terry (he does have a cute butt!). We watch that. I have actually started reading the Sporting News before Mike does.

When we vacation, I try to research which MLB parks we can go to and "tag up". Mike, Shawn and I are still in competition with eachother on who has been to the most MLB parks. I think I have one more than Mike (Camden Yards...7th row, 3rd base line during the LAST season for Cal Jr. brief prayer). When we met Shawn in Chicago, we had tickets to see the Cubs (Wrigley friggin field...the IVY!) and the Sox before we had hotel reservations. Cubs I was in awe of the pure American history in the building. God forbid the nostalgia that is found in a Chicago Dawg. Though without the history and nostalgia, I could only stand like 5 innings in the White Sox stadium.

This brief note because I received a comment about the Sugar bowl & other college "championship" games. I hadn't the ability at the time to refute that. Let me state for those in the know, that I live in Utah about 5 miles from the stadium where the (undefeated) University of Utah Utes play. I do have support for the team. I also attended the University of Oregon (PAC 10) so I follow their games. Stating that, I feel again those in the know are nodding with why I didn't respond to the College bowl game comment. After the bruhaha died down (the game AND the commentary was replayed here a week after the Utes won), I felt anger (as I did when the Ducks were denied 4 years ago). I still am laughingly supporting Mark Shurtleff who is attacking the BCS's monoply over college football in the courts (Go with god Mr Shurtleff!).

So, how do I feel about college bowl games? Like everyone else who bleeds for a team in the Mountain West, PAC 10 and other disenfranchised NON South areas.....it is lame and not a competition. It is voted on by sports casters and there is no set play off. If you have ever been to a college sport game, it is the TRUE passion of the sport. And instead of WORKING for a title, the opportunity to play for a facade of a championship is VOTED to you.

That is why this illiterate non-sports fan will NOT support the bowl games. Watching the Utes dominate their game and come out 4th in one poll (note even rated in the Sporting News poll, which I told Mike to cancel his subscription for their assinity). I guess my thought is any entity which cannot with consistency and surity NAME their champion, is sad.

Be good to you!

1 comment:

smc9974 said...

really only you would make sports sound like they belong on NPR Your blogs get better every time you write one...I think it has to do with confidence