Monday, December 22, 2008

Elvis got us a Christmas present!

I have 3 dogs. Bo, Luke & Daisy. We are very heartful about pets in our home. Now don't get me wrong, they are dogs. They sleep not in our bed, they don't get people food (much), and I can leave them outseide without guilt. But we are heartful about pets.

One morning before I left for work, our three angels, went NUTS. That kind of bedlam was reserved for the garbage/recycling man. Mike went out to look. There was a beautiful American bull dog (may be a pit) but well cared for and certainly a loved member of a family. Me being over 40, could NOT read his tag. We got the numbers from Elvis's tag. Mike tried to call. I text one of the numbers "Elvis has apparently left your building and is hanging with us". Mike left a message.

I get a call from Mike. He had put Elvis out in the back yard with our group and they were playing. Then I heard Mike "Daisy, leave Elvis alone. Daisy NO BITE. Daisy....I gotta go". Apparently all 12 pounds of Daisy was either enamoured or pissed off at Elvis. Let me go through the 3 dogs: Bo....just like me...fearful of everything until he has someone with him or time passes. Luke...the old man of the group....he was fostered for most of his life & we think was abused by aggressive dogs. He knows how to bob & weave! Now Daisy....she tends to go after big dogs. One time in a soon-to-be abandoned "obedience class" Daisy had to be faced AWAY from the 120 pount pit as she would go after him (at 9 pounds & 4 months). Mike told the class "Just like her momma, always looking for a bar fight"....not sure how to respond.

I received a call from Elvis' owner. 19 year old kid. I gave him Mike's number & let them work out the delivery details. It turned out, that the mom & dad owned a pretty popular steak place. I threatened Mike NOT to ask for a gift certificate as payment. Apparently the kid's father was struggling with Lukemia & the mom truly appreciated the thought & care we afforded Elvis.

For the next week, the dogs would go NUTS in the middle of the night....Elvis was here. Apparently, Elvis would push his way into the back yard looking for the kids to play with. It just so happened to be 4 in the morning. We would call the kid. One time we brought him into the house, all 80 pounds of him. He jumped up on our bed kinda making himself at home. He was quite endearing. He sat at the door of the guest room where we had coralled our darlings. Pandemonium ensued. I figure the kid was playing video games & absently put the dog out & went back to life. We found out later that Elvis would jump up on the trampoline & would come to search out the Dukes of SLC. Mike offered to have Elvis visit & play, but that never came to fruition. We figured Elvis would trap himself in our yard as the gate only swings in. One morning, I went to let the dogs out and I was bringing Daisy out (who has to go out seperately due to her own stubbornness) and I opened the door & there stood Bo. Apparently during the night Elvis had entered the yard, when he coudn't find the Dukes, he pushed his way out of the chain link gate doors. Elvis had left the yard. We haven't heard from Elvis in a while which is a mixed blessing...no more frightening barking alarms, yet no bouyant beefy face looking to play!

I took a half a day of vacation & there was a bag with a bow hanging on the door. I left it as I thought it was from the neighbors. I left it for Mike to open. The card was to "Elvis' friends from Elvis". There were puppy treats & human treats as well as a picture of a tail wagging, tongue lolling Elvis. Now we have no idea of the numbers any more, nor did we really share names. But we helped someone out by giving a dog the care we would want our dogs given when they are lost and we got the greatest surprise! Thank YOU!

Unfortunately when Daisy has gotten out and they tell me what an amazing dog she is, I hesitate from blurting "SOLD". Because on some deep.....deep....way deeper level, I would miss her. As a matter of fact, I was in Northern California for business last year & received a few voicemails that Daisy had been found. It turned out that she had been turned over to the animal control for the weekend. I was livid with Mike. "You go back in there & get my baby! She is in a cold kennel without the boys & has no pillow. I am SURE she is scared." I continued every so irrationally "This is the weekend before Christmas, she is a cute dog...if someone adopts my baby because YOU didn't get her out, YOU WILL PAY!" Mike kept mumbling "I hope she learns a lesson being in jail over the weekend". Not sure who was more delusional.

Sigh...yes, I do laugh about it now. First thing Monday morning, Mike went to the pound, paid the fee, and took possession of our baby. He called me with "I got Daisy. They gave me her picture with her number and her paw prints they took!" I fell for it. Like she needed smokes in her weekend in the doggie slammer. I really don't think this dog, nor Elvis, could be redeemed, but they are a pair to draw to!

Be great to you!
H

1 comment:

Micahel said...

god bless daisy and elvis and kudos to heather for being able to put it all in words beyond measure. MD